Bus transfer to / from hotels / FORTH:
The School will be held at the G. Lianis Amphitheater in the building of FORTH. FORTH is located 8 to 10 kilometers South-West of Heraklion center. The recommended way to come to the School from your hotel in Heraklion center is to take the Conference bus (free for the participants), departing at 09:00 a.m. sharp every morning during the school period. The bus departs from the Bus Stop (bus will have a label “FORTH Winter School”) which is located next to the front entrance of Megaron Hotel (Efesou Street), a 5 minute walk from Lato Hotel and Marin Dream Hotel, where most school participants are staying. It is one level below Epimenidou Street where Lato and Marin Dream are, you can use the stairs which take you from Epimenidou Street to Efesou Streed next to the Megaron Hotel.
The location of the bus departure point and of the hotels is shown by clicking on this "Hotels and Bus" Google Map.
If you miss the above Conference buses, or if you want to come to the Conference (FORTH building) at a different time, you have two options:
- Use a taxi. It will cost you approximately 15 Euro, and the driving time is approximately 20 minutes. More information on taxis is given below.
- Use a public bus. The (one-way) ticket to FORTH costs 1.5 Euro, and the bus takes about 30 minutes to reach the University campus area, near which FORTH is located. Please consult with your hotel front desk, or call the phone number below for more information.
- For any problems you may have please call +30-2810-391753 (Prof. Mouchtaris).
There are now three ferries going daily between Athens (Departure from Piraeus Port) and Heraklion:
- Depart from front of Megaron Hotel 9:00 am sharp, to FORTH (every day). Arrive FORTH approx. 9:20.
- Depart from front of main FORTH building 5:30-5:45 pm to Heraklion.
- Every day will leave you in front of Megaron Hotel on approx. 6:00-6:15 pm, except from Wednesday January 18.
- On Wednesday January 18 the bus will leave you in front of the Historical Museum of Crete approx. 6:00pm. Then, a guided tour (in English) of the museum will take place for the Winter School participants (free-of-charge) between 6:00-8:00 pm. This is followed by dinner to Petrou&Pavlou restaurant, next to the museum (see below, and also Winter School Program).
Dining suggestions and dinner arrangements:
We, the people in local arrangements, like the restaurants listed in tihs "Dining Suggestions" Google Map, among others, when we go out to dine, in the area near the hotels.
Please note that in this list you can find the 2 restaurants where dinner will take place on Monday Jan. 16, and Wednesday Jan 18:
- Monday, January 16 2012, 8 pm: Istioploikos Restaurant. This restaurant is at the waterfront, 5 minute walk from Lato Hotel and Marin Dream Hotel, near the Heraklion harbour. You will need to walk from your hotel to this restaurant and back. This event is included in your registration fees.
- Wednesday, January 18 2012: 8pm: Petrou & Pavlou Restaurant. This restaurant is on the Historical Museum Square, which is on the main road which goes along the waterfront of Heraklion (Leoforos Sofokli Venizelou). The restaurant is not on the Google map, but is next to restaurant “PARASIES” which is indicated on the map. Dinner on Jan. 18 will be preceded by a visit to the Historical Museum of Crete (6pm-8pm) which is located in the same square with the restaurant. The bus that day will take you from FORTH to the museum, therefore after dinner you will need to walk back to your hotel (10-15 minute walk) or take a taxi. This event is included in your registration fees.